This is one of my favorite dishes to cook. Such a comfort dish in a chilly day, well, to be honest, any season! This plain, looks like a stew is called “Nikujaga”. It is like a Japanese style of Stew I would say, dish of simmered vegetables and beef.
Ingredients are very simple. Potatoes, carrots, beef and onions.
It goes perfectly well with rice.
· 1/2 lb sliced beef
· 3 potatoes (each cut into 8 pieces)
· 1 carrot, chopped
· 1/2 onion, sliced
· 2 tbsp sake
· 2 tbsp soy sauce
· 1.5 tbsp sugar
· 2 tbsp mirin
- Heat oil in a pan with medium heat, and grill beef first.
- Add rest of the vegetables, toss it together. Add sauce ingredients and mix together for 5 mins.
- Simmer 15 minutes over medium-low heat
- Serve in a bowl and enjoy!